Malta is rapidly becoming the jurisdiction of choice for the regulation of aviation matters. This has resulted in an increase in aircraft and mortgage registrations and a boost in the quality and stature of other ancillary Malta aviation law services.
Malta is regarded as a case-sensitive and responsive jurisdiction, having a sound and strong set of aviation laws which address squarely and in a business friendly manner the intricacies which may arise between players in the aviation industry. The increase in Malta’s popularity is based on a number of factors, including:
- the implementation of the Aircraft Registration Act, 2010 intended to encourage growth of the industry and providing for border eligibility rules for registrations of aircraft that are not used for commercial air service and recognition of fractional ownership of aircraft
- the implementation of the Cape Town Convention on International Interests in Mobile Equipment and its Aircraft Protocol
- participation in numerous international aviation agreements as well as conventions, including the Chicago Convention
- mutual recognition of Air Operator’s Certificate (AOC), flight crew licenses and engineer’s licenses;
- membership in EASA with high reputation for safety standards;
- international mutual recognition of Maintenance Organisation;
- adequate laws assisting parties to seek remedies in various forms including mortgages.
Additionally, Malta being an EU Member State, a Malta registered aircraft can operate freely within the EU.
Our Malta Aviation Law Services
Our firm enjoys a wealth of experience in this enticing and burgeoning field of law including the registration of aircraft in Malta, sale and purchase deals, aircraft chartering and leasing as well as the negotiations and drafting of aviation related service agreements such as servicing maintenance and repair agreements. Chetcuti Cauchi also has thorough knowledge and experience in various other areas, such as: bilateral air services agreements, conditions of carriage, regulation of airlines, insurance, regulation of unlawful conduct on board of aircraft, and seizure of aircraft.
We specialise in the use of Malta companies in local and international aircraft ownership and management structures for the purpose of VAT and tax planning maximization, Indeed, the firm’s work in this area includes high profile matters such as corporate structuring and tax planning
. Acting as a one-stop Malta aviation law firm, the services offered by our aviation specialists are complemented by those of our tax advisers and accountants that provide corporate structuring and tax planning solutions. Chetcuti Cauchi's aviation team acts as the project manager to very high valued transactions, often leading negotiations with counter-parties, banks and authorities.
Our Aviation Clients
Chetcuti Cauchi is the Malta aviation law firm of choice for companies seeking potential aircraft management solutions in Malta. Our savvy aviation team has established itself as a leading aviation law practice representing aircraft holding and management companies as well as aviation financiers
and private jet owners.