Malta is one of the fastest growing information and communications technology (ICT) markets in Europe. In a few years, the ICT & Media Sector in Malta has thrived steadily. ICT, e-Commerce, Media and Internet Law have evolved rapidly in Malta over the past years and now constitute an integral part of the local economy. The Maltese Government is focused on developing Malta into a high-income economy and in these last years and has invested heavily in the ICT sector as a platform for inward investment.
Malta Digital Games
Malta is quickly becoming a hub for the Digital Games Industry.
The Maltese Government has devised a Digital Games Strategy that focuses on attracting such industry to our shores, by creating the necessary fiscal and financial incentives that would attract such sector; creating a number of IT related courses to ensure that entities set up herein find the necessary, specialised workforce for recruitment; establishing the Digital Games Fund and investing in Smart City, which offers all the latest facilities and amenities to IT companies.
Malta as a Gaming Hub
The past decade or so has seen Malta becoming a leading international hub that regulates remote gaming effectively which has attracted start-up and established gaming companies to set up shop within our shores. The country has become the European jurisdiction of choice for the iGaming industry; mainly due to robust regulations and an emphasis on player protection. Government policy and initiatives have all shown that the island is ‘here to stay’ when it comes to regulation and legislation. With state-of-the-art telecoms infrastructure, a trained multilingual workforce and a pleasant climate, it is no wonder that the island has attracted such industry key players. With ICT & Media developments such as SmartCity, a brainchild of the renowned Dubai Internet City, Tecom, Malta reaffirms its intention to build on the Gaming, ICT & Media industries and invest in the necessary infrastructure and resources to service the operators well.
Our Malta ICT & Media Team
Working hand in hand with our Intellectual Property Division as well as our Tax & Corporate Team, our ICT & Media law department provides legal advice on all aspects connected to today's technological race, including:
- advice on legal aspects of website development
- drafting and application of software &/or development contracts
- drafting and application of general terms and conditions, licensing agreements, outsourcing agreements and hosting- and ASP-agreements
- advice on risk management, due diligence and (European) information and communication technology tenders
- ISP liability - copyright infringement, consumer/user rights
- acquisition of domain names and domain names disputes
- transfer of technology (know-how, patents, trademarks and copyright) and the applicable agreements
- e-gaming advice including licensing, procurement, merchant accounts and other related services
- tax advice, company formations, corporate restructurings and compliance
- venture capital, securities offerings, mergers and acquisitions
- Advice on the legal implications of hacking, security infringements, encryption and piracy;
- Legal assistance in the suppression of harmful and illegal content on the internet (including material violating intellectual property rights and trade secrets, child pornography, defamatory material, racist material, etc.)
- Consultancy and assistance in the event of computer-related fraud and forgery.
Our ICT & Media Team is dedicated to delivering timely, well-informed, and practical legal advice to its clients with a goal of providing them with the necessary tools which enable them to gain a strategic advantage in the technology they need in this competitive marketplace.