The Malta Visa Requirements for Maltese nationals travelling abroad are listed below.
Malta Visa Requirements for Maltese nationals
Malta Visa applications from applicants wishing to visit Malta as the main destination, or where Malta is their country of first entry into the Schengen area, must be filed at Malta’s diplomatic missions or its representations.
Following the practice of Schengen Member States, Malta entered into representation agreements with other Member States in order that a visa application for Malta can be filed in countries where Malta does not have a diplomatic mission or consular post. The consular post of the country representing Malta will issue visas for entering Malta according to the common Schengen visa policy as if issuing visas for entering their own country.
Schengen visa applications must be filed at the diplomatic mission of the country which is the main destination of the visit. In the event, therefore, that an applicant intends to visit several Schengen states (with stays of approximately the same duration), the application must be filed at the diplomatic mission of the country of first entry.
Visa applications must be in writing, giving all details required on the Visa Application Form which can be acquired free of charge from Malta’s diplomatic missions and consular posts.
The Visa Application Form must be wholly and legibly completed, and signed by the applicant, and accompanied by:
- a valid travel document (passport) validity of which must not be less than three (3) months;
- two (2) passport-size photographs, in colour and taken against a white background, with face clearly visible;
- the visa fee
Visa Requirements for Maltese Nationals
as at 23/06/2014
Maltese nationals do NOT require a visa to enter > 100 countries:
- Republic of Korea [South]
- Antigua & Barbuda
- San Marino
- St Kitts and Nevis
- Slovak Republic
- Bosnia Herzegovina
- Solomon Islands
- South Africa
- St Lucia
- St Vincent and the Grenadines
- Costa Rica
- The Gambia
- Czech Republic
- Trinidad and Tobago
- El Salvador
- Federal Republic of Germany
- United Arab Emirates
- United Kingdom
- Vatican City
- New Zealand
- FYROM (Macedonia)
- Greece Paraguay
- United States (see notes below)
Notes on Malta Visa Requirements
Travelling for tourism purposes in the USA does not require a visa for a maximum of 90 days on the following conditions:
1. One has to travel with a biometric passport.
2. One has to fill in an e-form called ESTA at least 72 hrs prior to departure, such information has to be submitted via the US Embassy website: www.malta.usembassy.gov
3. Any Maltese national who is still in possession of a valid entry visa on a non biometric passport, can still enter the USA.
4. If any of the above mentioned criteria is not met than a Maltese national needs to apply for a US visa.
- Businessmen, students, and missionaries only require visa for Colombia and Peru.
- Maltese nationals do not require a visa to visit Hong Kong for a period of up to 90 days
- Maltese nationals travelling to the SULTANATE of OMAN will be given a visa, valid for a 14-day visit, upon arrival at Seeb International Airport. They do not require a sponsor from the Sultanate of Oman.
- Visa for the Philippines is not required for a period not exceeding 21days.
- Visa for Taiwan is not required for a period not exceeding 30 days.
- Visa for Brunei Darussalam is not required for a period not exceeding 30 days.
- Visa for Kuwait is issued upon arrival.
- Visa for Nepal is issued on arrival
- Visa for the Dominican Republic is issued on arrival
- Visa for St Kitts and Nevis is applied for online on the following website http://www.gov.kn by clicking on visiting and visitor information respectively. Maltese nationals do not require a visa to visit St Kitts and Nevis for a period of up to 90 days.
- Visa for Turkey could have been obtained at the Turkish border gates until April 10, 2014. Following this date, only electronic visas will be applied and can be obtained online on the webpage: www.evisa.gov.tr. The e-visa has been applied since April 17, 2013.
Maltese nationals travelling to countries not mentioned above NEED TO APPLY for an Entry or Transit Visa before proceeding from Malta. For visa requirements and any other information kindly contact the Ministry of Foreign Affairs Consular Department. Malta Visa Requirements - Visit Malta