Malta Nomad Residence Permit

Reside In Malta Whilst Retaining Current Employment

Dr. Antoine Saliba Haig | 10 Jun 2021

Malta Nomad Residence Permit

The Malta Nomad Residence Permit (NRP) is a residence permit which can be issued to non-EU nationals only. The NRP is open to individuals who can work remotely in Malta using telecommunications technology. This permit enables its holders the right to retain their current employment based in another country whilst legally residing in Malta. 

The Nomad Residence Permit (NRP) can be issued in the form of a residence permit for one year and renewable thereafter or in the form of a National Visa in case of applicants who are interested in residing in Malta for less than a year. The applicant is thus required to inform the Residency Malta Agency on the intended duration of stay in Malta prior to the submission of the application. This is done in the form of a Letter of Intent which is to be submitted at the outset. 

Malta Nomad Residence Permit Eligibility

Applicants may be eligible for the NRP if they are nationals of a non-EU country. To qualify, the applicant must fall under any one of the following categories:

  1. Work for an employer who is registered in a foreign country and have a contract of work, or
  2. Conduct business activities for a company registered in a foreign country and of which applicant is a partner or a shareholder, or
  3. Offer freelance or consulting services, mostly to clients whose permanent establishments are in a foreign country, and with whom the applicant has contracts

Malta Nomad Residence Permit Requirements

The following requirements must be fulfilled by an applicant who intends to apply for the NRP:

  • Earn a gross monthly income of €2,700
  • Hold a valid travel document
  • Rent or Purchase a property in Malta
  • Pass a due diligence check by the local authorities

Malta Nomad Residence Permit Process

A Nomad Residence Permit is to be submitted together with the required supporting documentation and a Government Administrative Fee of €300. Once an application is submitted, the Agency and other local authorities will conduct background checks on the applicant and take a decision on the application. Application processing is expected to take up to 30 days following receipt of all required documentation. If the application is approved, the applicant will be invited to visit Malta to conclude the application. 

A national visa of 180 days will be issued to successful applicants who need a visa to enter Malta. Applicants who intend to spend up to 180 days in Malta will be issued with a National Visa while those who intend to spend up to 365 days or more will be issued with a Residence Permit.

Malta Nomad Residence Permit for Family Members

Family members of applicants for the NRP may also be issued with a residence permit subject to an application fee of €300. The applicant may include in an application:

  • The Spouse in a monogamous marriage or in another relationship having the same or a similar status to marriage, including a civil union, domestic partnership, common law marriage, provided that for the purpose of these regulations, the term "spouse" shall be gender neutral, and saving the CEO of Residency Malta Agency’s discretion to authorise, on a case by case basis, other relationships having a similar status as aforesaid
  • a child, including an adopted child, of the main applicant or of his spouse who, at the time of application, is less than eighteen (18) years of age
  • a child, including an adopted child, of the main applicant or of his spouse, who at the time of application is over eighteen (18) years of age, is not married, and who proves, to the satisfaction of the Agency that at the time of application he is principally dependent on the main applicant

In addition to earning a monthly income of €2,700 gross of tax,  an applicant must earn 20% of the median wage for each family member. 

Applicants may submit applications for their family members with their initial application or even when already holding a Nomad Residence Permit or Visa.

Request More Information

Please send me legal and other updates
Reference Materials